Saturday, October 23, 2010

Today's Activity APPLE TASTING

Today we did some apple tasting! The kids adored this. We started with 9 different apples, the kids all picked 2 to compare and contrast and then we made a graph for which apples were liked the best. Jonagold was a favorite among all of them. Fuji and Red Del. came up after that one. We used Washington, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Mcintosh. Empire, Golden Del. Red Del. Fuji and Rome. It was really fun to see the different reactions when they tasted one that was a bit on the tart sour side. My son Damian was not picky he liked them all. I saw this idea on the Handbook of Nature Study blog. She uses the Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Comstock as her guide and she has these Outdoor Hour challenges on her blog. I have yet to research or read this book so I am not yet certain I will be joining in on her Challenges everytime but the apple tasting sounded really fun so I did that one. I really wish we had an apple orchard or something around here but sadly we don't so Walmart had to do! For a few more pictures please go here.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like they had fun! We had an apple tasting day this week too but I haven't posted about it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun...I want to do the challenges and I even bought the book (but I haven't gotten out of the intro! I think we'll try this because we are going apple picking on Friday -- I haven't been in over 10 years. You're an inspiration to me!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete