Monday, November 15, 2010

Skyler and her plants again

Skyler surely is the youngest of a Magic School Bus family! My older daughter started it and it followed on down and now the baby is the last to love them. We watched Magic School Bus Gets Planted and she had a blast. Telling me all about how plants can make their own food from the sun and they pull water from the dirt and she was really excited about knowing all this. Got me thinking to many years ago (too many to really mention lol) a bunch of white or maybe light yellow flowers sitting in the middle of my moms kitchen table slowly turning color day by day. My mom (God love her) she gave my brother and I the love of books from the time we were born but she was never the type to let us paint in her perfect house or GASP get messy! Little things like this were far and few between so I remember them! Plants get water by sucking it up and of you use some food coloring you can actually see it. Yeah an oldy but still a goody and great memories that I can share with my little one. Looking back wondering why did I never do it with the older three?? Life got busy I suppose and before you know it they are grown up and you think of all the things you didn't do when you had the chance. The patience you just didn't have. Anyway we started with some all white carnations. Skyler had a blast at the grocery knowing that bouquet of flowers were just for her, she is such a tomboy princess! Two glasses that have set in my china cabinet never used because well, I guess I was saving them they were special. Their dad got beautiful china trimmed in gold when my oldest was a baby and low and behold a decade or so later we found glasses trimmed in the same gold and he bought those too. They went in a china cabinet and collected dust for years now. Well until last week that is...
My beautiful glasses filled with food coloring!
One red one blue as blue is my fave and she loves pink but red was close enough she said thank goodness!! I got some really cute science experiment freebies from notebookingpages.com and decided to start her out with that.  Just simple questions, What I did, What I think will happen and boxes for their own drawings she really enjoyed it. She did think the flowers would grow but she said she bet they would change colors too so she was half right anyway!

She drew the pictures and told me what to write for her and it was hard to not make it all perfect but I tried to use her words and not mine LOL. Well about a few days and she got to see how the flowers drank. She was a bit disapointed to see that the red food coloring didn't take all that much but the blue one did quite a bit. I tried to take images of that but with a mostly white flower they came pretty bright hopefully you can tell some differences. We did find it pretty cool you could see the stem on the back actually turning red.
     She really had fun doing this and seeing it with her own eyes. She finished up her little notebooking page on What did happen so she is getting the idea how to record an actual experiment. I so need to set up their little nature/science books maybe I will get to that tomorrow??





 I so wanted to just do the notebook page all perfect but what would she have learned then??? It is hard to not do it yourself though but she is having fun making charts and all with her own little pictures and she loves that she did it herself!! Well that was our little study on how plants drinks we are gonna do more, have done more that I need to post up here sooner or later when life let's me HAHA!!!!
This is just a favorite picture and it is just so sweet. This is a major long post!!! I am kinda nostalgic tonight about the growing up of my Devlin girl and wish at times that she was the 6 year old looking at the world with wonder in her eyes and joy in learning that is seeming to slowly fade with her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment